Title: Deputy Director of Civic Engagement
Department: Community & Civic Engagement
Reports to: Director of Civic Engagement
Positions Reporting to this Position: Chispa NV Civic Engagement Director
Union Position: No
Job Classification Level: M-I
Salary Range (depending on experience): $79,000-$108,000
The League of Conservation Voters Education Fund believes our earth is worth mobilizing for, because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. LCV Education Fund (LCVEF) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCVEF’s work to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social and environmental justice.
Democracy for All (DFA) is one of the largest and most dynamic civic engagement programs in the nation and the largest program within the environmental movement. As a program of LCVEF, we operate in partnership with 30 state affiliates in the Conservation Voter Movement, which gives Democracy For All substantial capacity and geographic reach. Over the last five election cycles, we have established a track record of running highly effective, research-based nonpartisan voter registration programs that are rooted in racial justice and worked in collaboration with the communities most impacted by environmental degradation. Since our first program in 2012, we have helped over 1.5 million individuals register to vote. LCVEF and many state league partners have also prioritized increasing our efforts to protect and promote voting rights. These issues are central to the success of environmental priorities, and are, therefore, central to the success of the Conservation Voter Movement.
LCVEF is seeking a Deputy Director of Civic Engagement to join the Democracy For All program who will oversee a growing multi-state voting rights program and the execution of multi-state site-based nonpartisan voter registration and integrated voter engagement. In addition to DFA programs LCVEF conducts directly, the DFA program involves state-level partnerships with affiliates that result in strategic guidance and oversight. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in management, base building, coalition building, and developing grassroots leaders through issue organizing campaigns and civic engagement. We are looking for a creative, motivated leader with an organizing background who is goal-driven, detail-oriented, and dynamic.
- Work with the Director of Civic Engagement, national LCVEF staff, and state affiliates to develop, implement and evaluate advocacy, coalition-building, and organizing campaigns that advance voting rights and protect against voter suppression in at least six states.
- Assist state affiliates in the hiring, training, and strategic oversight in support of their efforts to execute programs and build partnerships.
- Work with the Civic Engagement and Chispa teams to develop and test effective and new organizing and mobilizing strategies and tools that help build the voice and power of communities and leaders.
- Analyze and prepare reports on campaign and program progress for state affiliates, LCVEF leadership and provide timely updates for grant reports and other donor-related materials.
- Work closely with the digital team to develop online campaign tools and increase online engagement with our campaigns and programs.
- Work with the communications team to implement communications goals and plans.
- Coordinate with LCVEF and state LCVEF staff to ensure that Civic Engagement work is integrated into LCVEF events and strategies including relationship building, media communications and online actions.
- Attend coalition meetings across the country to build relationships, identify opportunities for engagement and advance the goals of LCVEF programs.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of national site-based voter registration and integrated voter engagement efforts. This includes assisting with the hiring, training, and management of state-based staff.
- Draft and manage campaign and program plans and budgets.
- Ensure compliance and reporting of all activities working with Legal and Finance departments and state affiliates.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: Required – 5-6 years or 2-3 election cycles of experience working on voter registration, electoral, community organizing or labor organizing campaigns, including 1 cycle of experience managing groups of organizers or volunteers within communities of color. Experience managing complex program budgets and metric-driven campaigns. Preferred – Experience working with coalitions and developing partnerships to advance shared goals. Experience working with 501(c)(3) organizations. Experience working with a national organization that has state affiliates or chapters. Experience effectively managing teams in multiple geographies. Experience working with VAN or MiniVAN.
- Skills: Excellent writing and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write and implement comprehensive voter participation programs and advocacy plans. Ability to represent LCVEF to a variety of audiences and through a variety of mediums. Exceptional leadership, project management and coaching skills including supporting remote staff. Ability to train and develop training materials for remote staff. Works well in a fast-paced environment and able to multitask without sacrificing the quality of the work. Reliable, consistent, detail-oriented and self-motivated. Self-aware, emotionally intelligent and culturally competent. Commitment to measuring and tracking progress and outcomes.
- Cultural Competence: Must share a commitment to advancing racial justice and equity and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Must also have a complex understanding of priorities in communities of color and the potential for effective civic engagement. Demonstrated cultural competency and familiarity with the complexity of issues and obstacles facing communities of color participation in U.S. democracy.
- Conditions: Able to work hours exceeding stated office hours, as needed; ability and willingness to travel up to 50% as needed. The location of this position is flexible. Please note that all LCVEF staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Deputy Director of Civic Engagement” in the subject line by April 19, 2021 . No phone calls please.
LCVEF is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.