Title: Chispa AZ Public Lands Fellow
Department: Community & Civic Engagement
Reports to: Deputy Director, Chispa Arizona
Positions Reporting to this Position: None
Duration: 2 Years from Start Date
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Union Position: Yes
Job Classification Level: A
The League of Conservation Voters Education Fund believes our earth is worth mobilizing for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. LCV Education Fund (LCVEF) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCVEF’s works to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social and environmental justice.
Chispa Arizona, a program of the League of Conservation Voters Education Fund (LCVEF), is working to build power within the Latino community to advocate for local environmental priorities and hold elected officials and corporate polluters accountable. Our community organizing and civic engagement efforts invigorate the environmental justice movement with new leaders at all levels of government, increase voter participation, and hold elected officials accountable in between election days.
Chispa Arizona envisions:
- Communities that enjoy clean air, open space and parks, and the security of knowing that our planet can sustain us today and for future generations.
- A democracy that we are proud of, in which all people have an opportunity to be part of choosing who will represent them, and in which those representatives are accountable to all their constituents. Participating in our democracy should be easy and accessible.
- A strong, powerful environmental movement that reflects the values, priorities and leadership of low-income communities of color.
LCVEF is hiring a Public Lands Fellow to join the Phoenix-based Chispa Arizona team. The Fellow will assist with the organization’s public lands portfolio which includes advocacy, community organizing, and curriculum development. The Fellow will collaborate with the Deputy Director in the development of a legislative strategy. The work will also include strengthening racial justice and equity principles within the public lands portfolio. The Fellow will support in the development of public lands materials (Presentations, Flyers, Letters etc.) to include racial justice and equity, public lands/open spaces, economic benefits, cultural impact and promoting the stories of Arizona with the help of our Communications department.
- Assist in research, development, and writing of proposals for Latino public land priorities.
- Collaborate with the training and community organizing team to develop Public Lands curriculum and engagement for community education and also having community members participate in advocacy.
- Assist with development of public lands narrative to uplift historic sites or opportunities to preserve public lands that are connected to communities of color. Research to protect public lands with Latinx and Indigenous significance.
- Assist with creation of material for digital storytelling campaigns to educate community members about protected sites across Arizona and complement the narrative uplifting.
- Support coalition work in public lands and open space policy.
- Support Chispa Arizona’s participation in annual environmental day at the capitol and Arizona Public Lands Day in the community.
- Work Experience: Required – At least two to four years in community engagement or policy work. Experience in development of presentations and research.
- Preferred – Experience in either community access, equity, or Latino engagement.
- Skills: Exceptional verbal and written communication skills. Ability to prioritize work and manage tasks in a fast-paced work environment. Able to research, think innovatively, and take initiative. Ability to work in community and work collectively.
- Cultural Competence: Must share a commitment to advancing racial justice and equity and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Familiarity with the complexity of issues and obstacles facing communities’ of color engagement in the environmental movement. Commitment to social change.
- Preferred – Familiarity with Arizona and in-state community.
- Conditions: Ability and willingness to travel on occasion (currently paused due to Covid-19). This position is based in Phoenix, AZ. Please note that all LCVEF staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume, and write sample (no more than two pages) to email@example.com with “Chispa AZ Fellow” in the subject line by January 5, 2021. No phone calls please.
LCVEF is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.